Lake Bemidji State Park announces upcoming activities
BEMIDJI—The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will host a number of upcoming events in the Lake Bemidji State Park area. They include:
• Thursday, June 21, from 1 to 3 p.m. "I Can Fish." The hands-on program teaches the basics, from fish identification to casting. All equipment is provided. It's open to ages 5 and older. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by a registered participant, parent or legal guardian. Advance registration is required. Cost is $7 for adults and children 12 and under are free. For more information, visit https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ican/fish.html.
• Friday, June 22, from 8:30 a.m. to noon. "Kids Fishing Friday." Join the park naturalists to venture out on the pontoon in search of fish. The fishing group is limited to nine anglers ages 8-15. Sign up at the park office or call (218) 308-2300. Check in at the park office at least 15 minutes prior to departure. Program will start at the fish cleaning shelter. Non-resident youth need to have a youth fishing license.
• Friday, June 22, at 7 p.m. "Campfire Chef: Beyond S'mores." Join a naturalist to learn fun, easy and tasty camp recipes. Meet at the amphitheater. This program is ideal for all ages (children under 12 with adult).
• Saturday, June 23, at 9 a.m. "Trail Running." Get together with other trail runners to explore Lake Bemidji State Park. Local long-distance trail runners will lead the way with tips for getting the most out of off-the-pavement miles. June 23 is the first of four sessions. The second session is July 7; third session is July 21, which will include the Jog for the Bog 5K; fourth session is August 18. Join for any or all of the runs. Meet at the visitor center patio at 9 a.m. Wear comfortable running clothing. Water and sports drinks will be supplied. No fee for activity but a vehicle permit ($7 daily or $35 annual) is required to enter the park.
• Saturday, June 23, at 10 a.m. "Bog Walk." Join a naturalist at your leisure on a stroll through the bog. This program is ideal for all ages.
• Sunday, June 24, at 2 p.m. "Music Under the Pines: Donna Gaston." Donna Gaston has been playing music professionally for the past few decades with her main focus on gospel, folk and jazz. She will perform guitar and sing covers from artists such as James Taylor, Joni Mitchell and Karla Bonhoff at the amphitheater.